Monday, October 30, 2017

Another Way I'm Using Loom


salvete!

I am loving Loom lately! I recently had my 8th graders, who are reading Cloelia, draw a number to choose from a pile of famous paintings, sculptures, and other depictions of the story of Lucretia in art. Each student took their painting and was given the following directions:


  1. Analyze your picture. Look for connections to the Cloelia novella. Which sentences or phrases can you use from the text?
  2. Write a Latin description of the image. Use at least three sentences from Cloelia in your writing.
  3. Go to useloom.com to record a 1-minute video of yourself describing your picture.
  4. Send Magistra a link to your video when you’re done.

They recorded their picture talks on Loom. They were able to use a written script and read from it while they recorded. Some did a screencast of the picture alone while others did a selfie-style video and held a printed copy of their picture.

Here is a sample student video.

Things I noticed:

  1. It was easy for them to find sentences from the text to use.
  2. This activity was easily differentiated. Some students stretched themselves to include passive verbs or tell backstory. Others picked 3 sentences from the text, wrote a few intro/outro sentences, and called it a day.
  3. Watching the videos in class was fun and got in extra repetitions of targeted vocabulary. Every student was included.
  4. They really liked this project. It felt like a creative opportunity, but was not overwhelming.
- Ashley Schneider



2 comments:

  1. Ashley, I love this activity! I haven't used Loom with my students, but I would love to try it. Do you all have students collect this work in an electronic portfolio? If so, I'd love to hear more about that process. I've had students building writing portfolios this year - nothing electronic yet. This is really cool! (I'd also love to know of that student wrote that indirect statement himself. Mighty impressive!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess that I helped with that indirect statement, but he came to me with an idea of what he wanted to say, and I helped him get it into Latin.

      Loom makes sharing these videos very easy, and students could easily include links to them in an online portfolio. In my class, students create writing portfolios on paper, but adding these to an electronic portfolio would be great!

      Delete