Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Movie Talk: Home Sweet Home


Happy new school year! This is my first post of the 2017-2018 school year. I'm teaching Latin 6-8 and a 6th grade Mythology course, so I've had a very busy first few weeks.

The 7th grade class I'm teaching has a wide range of students in it. I have two students who are completely new to Latin and our school, 5 who came from another teacher's class last year, and 8 who did CI with me last year in 6th grade. We have the entire bell curve of exposure and processing speeds.

With that in mind, I decided to start the year with a brief overview of declensions and conjugating in the present tense to get everyone acclimated to the concept of inflection. After a couple of pretty boring weeks, we moved into a CI unit based on Movie Talks. I recycled my La Luna talk from last year, and even though it was something that my 8 kiddos had done before, it proved to be a great intro to speaking and hearing Latin, as it focused on words with cognates (family members and stars/moon) and had a simple story line.

Next, we did a Movie Talk on "Home Sweet Home," a heart-wrenching (aren't they all???) digital short about two houses who become friends. I have one stellar student who is an incredibly fast processor, and I emailed him before class to ask if he would be willing to write a transcript of our Movie Talk while we were doing it. He agreed and sent me this Google Doc after class. I had written target vocabulary on the board before the film started and had students jot it down in their Interactive Notebooks. Then, I circled around on that vocab as the film played. We watched it a total of 3 times, and I encouraged students to do more of the narration each time we watched.

A few things I've learned after doing Movie Talks fairly consistently for a year:

  • Students get frustrated when you stop the video. I promise to show it once through without stopping, and I usually stop it very few times in subsequent times through. They can talk over the action in Latin just fine, especially if the volume is low. 
  • I don't need to write out the script in advance anymore. I just need to have a list of target vocab or structures for students and me to see, and I can usually hit them all. If the words are on the board, students will use them.
  • My classes enjoy talking over the film. I just keep them in Latin as much as possible. 
  • Students like to make things up that aren't in the film. We treat Move Talks kind of like One Word Pictures and get creative. 

Here is a link to the transcript that my 7th grade student wrote up. I made minor edits to adjust things like noun endings.

- Ashley Schneider

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, thanks for sharing another of your great movie talks! I want to know how you encourage your kids to keep the discussion in Latin while the movie is playing. I've struggled for the first time this year with kids talking over the movie. Thanks again! I love to see what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete