Friday, October 28, 2016

Initium Scholae

I had a former student who is starting her first year of teaching text me a few weeks ago for some start of school tips.  Her text got me thinking a lot about how I start the school year.  I first thought about what kind of advice I got twenty-three years ago when I started teaching and how different my teaching is today. I was told, "Don't let them see you smile until November."  Conversely, my advice to her was, "Smile..... Have fun with the kids and be generous with yourself."  I added, ""Think through your procedures.  Be firm but kind when you enforce them.  Do enforce them."  I find that the procedures in my room fall into place these days without much elaboration on my part.  Through a variety of means, I communicate clearly to kids that their enthusiastic participation is expected each day.  My students comply with this expectation cheerfully.  I suspect it is because I let them into my world soon into the school year.

I almost always begin with a slideshow about my life and my summer that I tell them about in Latin.  Typically, I tell the story in Latin and check for understanding in English.  There are lots of pictures of my family, friends and pets, such as this one:
For the last two years, I have expanded this activity more and more.  Now, I spend about a week telling and reviewing my story.  I now circle information in Latin and still sometimes check for understanding in English.  I add details a little at a time and reinforce target vocabulary daily.

After the students hear, read, and know my story, I now ask each student to share their own slides shows.  Students spend several days writing short stories about themselves that they typically illustrate with Google slides, though they are allowed to make videos.  They work in partners and then with me to make sure they are communicating what they want to say.  The final product looks something like this example.  Then each student presents his story verbally in class, and students get a script of each other's stories that they can use for reading.

I find that these activities are not only an easy way to get back into Latin, but it also does such a good job of building community that we reap the benefits as a class all year long (and really beyond when it comes time for class sign-ups for the next year). - Parva

No comments:

Post a Comment