Thursday, October 19, 2017

Draw 1-2-3 Mini-Project


salvete!

In my 7th grade class, we just finished reading Agrippina Mater Fortis. I assigned my students a "mini-project" to wrap up after we read the last four chapters in class. Here's what happened:


  1. I assigned each student a chapter. In my class of 15, 3-4 kids were assigned to each chapter. The students could collaborate, but everyone did their own work and earned their own grade.
  2. Students first did a Draw 1-2-3 to summarize their chapter. That's ONE picture, TWO Latin thought/speech bubbles, and a THREE-sentence caption at the bottom.
  3. Students practiced reading their chapter aloud in Latin with expression.
  4. Students used Loom to record a video of them reading their chapter in Latin and showing/explaining their Draw 1-2-3.
  5. We had a "film festival" the day after the projects were due. Students got at least 3 repetitions of each chapter.


    Thoughts:
    • This was a great, no-prep 2-3 day project.
    • It was accessible to every level of language learner. Even my new students who have never had any Latin were able to complete this.
    • It is naturally differentiated. I challenged my more advanced kids to compose their own Latin captions that didn't come right from the text. I also let them write longer speech/thought bubbles.
    • This was fun for students and low-stress, but really showed their understanding of the story.

    1 comment:

    1. So great! I'm thinking about using something like this in AP to review chapters in a way that is more interesting to them.

      ReplyDelete